Mark Gibbs <mgi...@gibbs.com> wrote:

Let's see if I'm understanding this correctly: The theory was that nuclear
> reactions cannot occur in a system such as P&F's. This theory was falsified
> which means that nuclear reactions can (and did) occur.

That is not a theory. It is an assertion. "nuclear reaction cannot occur."
It is based on various theories, but that statement by itself does not
constitute a theory. An assertion can be proved or disproved by a single
experiment. It can be voted up or down, as it were. A theory is usually
too multifaceted for that. For example, cold fusion does not prove that
plasma fusion theory is wrong; it only proves that the theory does not
apply to a lattice.

That assertion was proved wrong when cold fusion experiments produced
tritium and heat beyond the limits of chemistry. As Abd emphasizes, later
on it was shown that cold fusion produces helium in the same ratio to the
heat as plasma fusion does, which proves it is fusion.

> Correct? If it is correct, then my original statement stands: There is no
> theory yet that explains what is called cold fusion.

There is no theory, but there is a clearly stated set of claims which were
confirmed. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHdevelopmen.pdf

"EPRI PERSPECTIVE  This work confirms the claims of Fleischmann, Pons, and
Hawkins of the production of excess heat in deuterium-loaded palladium
cathodes at levels too large for chemical transformation. However, the
phenomena were obtained in only about half the cells.  From the conditions
of loading, initia­tion time, and current density on the successful
observations of excess heat, it is understood why the phenomena are so
difficult to attain."

There are no statements relating to theory here, except conventional
chemical theory which shows that a chemical reaction occurs with electron
bonds and is limited to ~4 eV per atom.