On Dec 31, 2012, at 10:40, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> I was trying to come up with any way that energy could be delivered by the
> Papp while leaving the gas cool.

It occurs to me now that we may have made a simple problem into a difficult
one. Our initial challenge is to find out whether the Papp mechanism is
overunity by an obvious amount; ie, the effect is not a threshold one.

We can start out with a simple popper hooked up to a flywheel like the one seen
in Puppy Dog's video, where there is an arm that moves the wheel in only one
direction.  Now attach a chain to the wheel and use it to draw a sled with
known weight across a surface of known friction with the sled.

Energy in would be the integral over time of the power used to drive the
system. Energy out would be a function of the distance the sled moved. Heating
due to friction would be ignored to obtain a pessimistic lower bound.

A two cylinder engine could be used in place of the popper if such an engine is
available.

Eric