You have a good explanation for the lack of visible reaction away from the
projectile.  The law of conservation of momentum ensures that the initial
movement of the barrel must be in the opposite direction.  The amount of
movement might be small if the barrel kinetic energy is absorbed by a barrier
that is stiff, and that must be what we have.  Energy can then be returned to
the barrel from the barrier by spring action propelling it in the same
direction as the piston.

How often do claims of the type revealed within this video arise?   You would
think that by now we would realize most are nothing but fancy electric motors
of an unusual design.  I will be very surprised to see one that actually
delivers over unity performance throughout a complete cycle when the total
input is accurately determined.

The inventor stated that a significant amount of energy still remained within
the capacitor bank after a power pulse.  Since energy stored within a capacitor
is proportional to the square of the voltage I would not be so kind.
160^2/500^2=.1   Only 10% remains which is not a large proportion.

Dave