I also recommend for reading Dickson Despommier's book The Vertical Farm that
Jed already linked. It is one of those books that are very stimulating for the
imagination.

On 1.1.2013, at 20.11, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is an example of a technology which can solve many problems that many
> people think cannot be solved.

Indeed. It is surprising, that people are mostly blind for the devastation that
traditional agriculture causes for the nature. Ca. 80 % of fertile land area is
in use of agriculture where as the rest of the human activity (including
cities, high ways and strip mines) takes only about 1.5% of (fertile) land use.

This graph is self-explaining:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_land_use_map.png

With simple arithmetics this means that without agriculture there is no need to
worry with any environmental problems that are currently worrisome.

Of course large scale vertical farming does require cheap electricity. However,
I would predict that solar electricity will be cheap enough in 10 to 20 years.

There is one curious detail, that unlike heavy industry, vertical farming does
not require constant power production. Therefore vertical farming could be near
term solution that could easily absorb output fluctuations in wind power
production.

This would be great argument from environmentalist point of view to invest on
vertical farming, because vertical farming could make wind power far cheaper
because it can absorb all the wind power generation fluctuations.

> People make Malthusian predictions of starvation from overpopulation.

This is also sad misconception by the people. Ethiopia is perhaps the most
fertile country on this planet. Ethiopia could easily feed the entire
population of Europe if Europeans would be willing to buy cheap African grain.

> I say that technology such as cold fusion and vertical indoor farming can
> solve these problems and avoid a crisis.

Solar electricity could be potentially far cheaper electricity than even cold
fusion. Therefore we do not need to rely only on rather speculative cold fusion
economy that is in a best case decades away in the future.

> We also need to control population with contraceptives, needless to say.

I disagree. Venus alone could inhabit hundreds of billions of people. When we
archive fully reusable spacecraft (my estimation is that first reusable
spacecraft will fly in 2020's), we can start almost immediate settlement of
Venus. With full reusability, oneway ticket into Venus costs just few hundred
kilodollars per person. It is less than a bungalow on Western Earth.

> There are many promising technical solutions to our problems lying around
> unused.

I think that Tesla Model S is one of the first sneakpeaks how technology can
make problems such as pollution nonexistent. There is no need to make
compromises with hedonism when we are environmentalists! Imagine an electric
family sedan that accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.9 seconds and has a range
of 400 miles. These are the specs of Tesla Model S with 120 kWh battery pack
(available in late 2013).

—Jouni