yes, renewable , except hydroelectric, is not yet cost effecive and need
huge progress.
It is still developed because some see no alternative.

as soon as an easy energy requires 10 times less investment than what is
needed for the cheapest energy, nuke, 100 times less than the worst
renewable, all the investment will be stopped.

the existing source will be kept, easy oil and gaz, old nuke, coal...
no other will be supported anymore...

solar and wind , like shales, tight oil, off shore, have no future. they
are justified by expensive energy and limited fossil resources...
It seems recently that many companies and intelligent government (I exclude
demagogy states) slow down renewable and move to tight hydrocarbons and
thorium...
Beside the fashion, the ideologist, and the desperate lobbies, many people
realize that it won't work. Another deception is probably that governments
have hoped that occidental countries could develop an oligopoly on that
technology to fight asia, but china captured the market quickly with
coal-fired cheap energy and huge research investment...

many recent green policy (Renewable, REACH, CO2, incandescent lamp ban)
seems , beside ideology, to be fed by desire to capture a competitive
advantage by moving the standards, China managed finally better than
occident,and today business are desperate to get advantage.