I wrote:

> What is it that is causing the proton in this model to vary in mass, and
> is the range of possible masses discrete or continuous?

I should anticipate one possible answer, which seems like a good
explanation -- a proton is not a point particle, like a photon, and it does
not travel at the speed of light.  It has mass and it has a speed that is
less than c.  So the mass will vary with its speed; when it is stationary
it will have a rest mass, and when it is travelling
at relativistic velocities, it has a larger mass.

Assuming the above is true, and assuming your model of a proton having an
average mass is true, the question for me now becomes, is the (rest) mass a
continuous value or discrete across a range?

Eric