Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

I agree Jed, you are correct if humans were rational.

They are, at times. If we were not rational, civilization and technology
would not exist.

> Unfortunately, a significant fraction are not rational, as can be easily
> seen at all levels. When irrational people have the ability, they always
> attempt to destroy. In the past, their ability was very limited. This
> ability is growing.

I do not see evidence that the power irrationality is growing faster than
the power of rational people. The balance seems to be about the same as it
was in the past.

There were times in the past when irrational people held sway, and plunged
the world into disaster. The most dramatic examples were the U.S. Civil
War, WWI and WWII. I think we are much better off than we were then. A
Third World War is highly unlikely. Rationality is winning that competition.

The likelihood of a major war is receding, and many other positive trends
continue. The Cold War ended peacefully. Democracy is spreading. Pollution
is gradually being reduced. Out of control population growth is moderating,
even in third world countries. Food factory technology is improving, and it
could easily eliminate the threat of famine or massive water shortages. The
Internet is bringing unprecedented access to information and education to
people everywhere, even in the Third World. It is even possible that cold
fusion will succeed. I will grant it is a long shot, but if I thought it
could never happen -- that we will never overcome irrational opposition --
I would quit trying to promote it.

I think you are unrealistic. Unwarranted pessimism is as unrealistic as
Panglossian optimism.