Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Pollution per dollar of GDP is down in both. China is making rapid
> strides, adding nuclear and wind power.
>

> That does not seem to translate into improvement.  Last night the news
> showed a picture from space where the pollution was clearly visible.

It will translate into an improvement if they keep it up. They have 16
nuclear power plants, and they are building 30 more. I believe that is the
fastest rate of expansion in the history of nuclear power, exceeding U.S.
expansion in the 1970s. See:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf63.html

I do not think it would be wise to build them any faster.

They are adding wind power faster than any other country. I think they are
up to 60 GW nameplate, and the turbines are mostly in very windy places
where the COP is high. Probably ~20 GW at least, which is roughly as much
as those 16 nukes. 32 nukes worth of pollution-free energy is a lot!

If they begin introducing electric cars they will soon reduce pollution
even as they expand the economy. The U.S., Europe and Japan reduced
pollution over the last 50 years. The Chinese can as well, and I think they
intend to.

Their energy efficiency is way up.