Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of the world's smartest minds worked together to produce the
> financial collapse. They had an implicit faith in the assurances of
> free-market ideology and laissez-faire . . .

> What they lacked was simple common sense and concrete incentives to avoid
> actions that are harmful to society.

I agree! That is also how I would describe the political and military
leaders who started World War I.

See also Tuchman's book, "The March of Folly."

I have high regard for capitalism and the free market. But, as I said, like
all things human these institutions have weaknesses. They can fail,
sometimes disastrously.