Great post Ed!  I've thought along those same lines as well (as I'm sure
many bright people have). I won't say that CF theory require miracles, but
it does require something very unusual an unique.  We already have one
unique aspect; that being the Hydrated Metal.  Astronomic properties of
hydrated metals may be really interesting in the afterglow of a supernova.
  It might be interesting to look a the spectrum of a supernova afterglow
for a metal hydride CF signature.  Even measuring He4 content in
Ni/Iron meteors really might suggest how robust the CF process is in the
supernova aftermath where hydrogen/deterium/He4 might be embedded in the
hot metal ejecta.
An imbalance of He4 compared to T, d, p  would do it.