But Eric, this is not how experimental studies work. Generally people see what they look for. For example, Swartz has a model he uses to explain what he see and he explains the behavior only in this way. Fleischmann had a model based on Preparata that provided his guidance, which lead to an approach for doing experiments that was based only on the model. I suffer from the same reliance on my model. As a result, no one changes their mind because Nature always supports the model being used. Therefore, it is important to start a study using a model close to the correct one. People who say they will simply do the study and see what happens are not telling the truth. This is not a simple physics problem that has a clear answer. The answer will not be clear. The result will be complex and will make no sense without a model being applied. For example, a person will see a little heat. He will run the experiment again using what appears to be the same material and see nothing. Was the first result error or was the material used the second time not exactly the same as the first time? How do you decide? At this point a model is applied. Which model you use determines what you do next.

Ed