Imagine a 1000 ton floating rock, with a one ton boulder orbiting it. Perhaps at 100 miles... What's the orbital speed? I don't have the formula, but I'll guess, oh, 1 ft/s. (1 ft/day? (Remember, if it's more than escape velocity, it's not really in orbit)).

Now, set our little system speeding through the inner planets at 10,000 mph.

Do the vector triangle for the boulder: one side is 10,000 mph, one is 1 ft/s, and voila! the third side is 10,000 +/- 1/19,000,000 mph. And so the direction is insensibly different from that of the rock. The two cannot possible seem to come from different angles, they are flying parallel.

But wait, they approach earth /hours/ apart. Boulder's orbit radius must be a least 10,000 miles. Now the orbital speed is 100x100 slower? (I'm assuming inversely pptnl to square of radius).

Don't even think about the Earth's movement during those hours.

The numbers and guesses are all wrong, but the result is so blatant that the right ones would make the demonstration no better. And it saved me a lot of research.

If the objects are associated, they /must/ appear to have been moving parallel before getting very near the Earth. Otherwise they would all be exceeding their various escape velocities - and thus not related after all.

Ol' Bab