On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:15:02 -0700
"Jones Beene" <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The Tesla S, at its present rate of sales (500/week) is outpacing the
> Volt... despite its higher price and the lame story from the NY Times ...
> Go Elon, go ...

Given your headline to your post, I don't doubt that 'Elon' will
go go go if you can help.

But looking at the Tesla, or any electric car, more objectively,
makes me think they are either for rich people who can use them as
toys ($100k for the top of the line Tesla) or for people like me
and my wife, who rarely drive more than 75k in a day (Chevy Volt,
Prius?).

I liked the bit, below, about dispensing with 'amenities' like a
heater. Imagine paying 100k but not being able to use a heater; you
would just have to have the chauffeur following you around in the
BMW to save you when the juice ran out and the cold began to seep
in.

I don't know when I have seen such a large PR campaign for such a
useless machine.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57497703-48/on-the-road-in-six-electric-cars/
2012 Tesla Model S
In its top trim, which incidentally costs about $100K, it is a real
 joy to drive....However, its efficiency, at 38 kilowatt-hours per
100 miles, is the worst of the lot. Think of it as a
performance-oriented electron guzzler.

http://www.ibtimes.com/tesla-model-s-review-controversy-can-elon-musk-vanquish-electric-car-stigma-1091504
“That 200 mile stretch between Newark, Del. and Milford, Conn.,
seems needlessly sweat-inducing,” Valdes-Dapena said after his test
 drive....

Test drivers of the Model S have been kind enough to
lend their car’s telemetry data to the Web via Twitter, but some
of the data we’re seeing is indicative of the prime complaint
among users: Distress about the car’s range....

In his review,
Broder said he dispensed with “battery draining amenities” like
keeping up with traffic and heating his car in the cold winter
weather.