On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, David Roberson wrote:

> Good point Eric.  I saw a short video and the fan blade was tiny.
> About the size of a large model plane prop.  I would guess a couple of
> watts, but it is difficult to determine.

A fan is unprofessional, it's a publicity stunt, a distraction.  If
they're *calculating* the fan wattage, be even more suspicious.  They
could be way off, using it to fool themselves, or even choosing such a
method to avoid simple obviuous tests.  Instead, ignore the calcs and get
an empirical estimate by running an exactly identical fan device with a DC
motor, and measure the operating volts/amps.  Or better, get rid of the
fan, instead use their device to power a DC generator hooked to a
resistor. But that would be simple unavoidable truth, not a flashy fan
which performs *apparently* impressive work, while actually their watt
claims may evaporate if investigated.

Estimating magnet energy:  if your magnet is composed of many long thin
magnet rods, you can let each rod flip over into "attractive mode" while
performing some work.  When half the rods have flipped, and you have a
random pack of strongly-attracting NSNS rods, that's a fairly close
approximation to an unmagnetized material.  "Unmagnetized" doesn't exactly
mean random, instead it means that all the flux paths are circles confined
within the metal.

Also this:

Unmagnetized: Two horse-shoe magnets held N-to-S to form a closed ring,
with zero flux outside the metal.

Magnetize: Force one of the horse-shoes to rotate 180deg to again form a
ring, but where the N pole is now against the N-pole of the other, and the
flux from both halves is extending out into surrounding space.

And, the net work needed to rotate one horseshoe against repulsion?
That's the energy needed for "magnetizing."

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci