On May 6, 2013, at 8:09 PM, Eric Walker wrote:

I wrote:

Eric, you need to consider some basic requirements. If an energetic particle is produced, such as an alpha, a second particle must be present to carry away the momentum.

Yes -- we are in agreement here. There are various ways to accomplish this apart from the Hydroton. There is an f/H tunneling into a deuteron, for example, where an electron is expelled instead of a gamma (if I have understood Robin). And there is Ron Maimon's approach, where a heavy nuclide in the vicinity of the reaction shares in the momentum of the reaction. I fear we are repeating ourselves now.

In addition, an upper limit exists to hte energy of an alpha, calculated by Peter, above which the alpha would produce detectable secondary radiation.

Yes -- there are Peter Hagelstein's calculations. Is there anyone else who has looked into this, or is the weight of the conclusion about the detectable secondary radiation resting on Hagelstein's calculations alone?

The various theories all try to find a way for this energy-momentum to be lost gradually in the form of photons or phonons that are too weak to be detected. Such a process, once started, must drain all the mass-energy out of the He. This is not just my opinion, but the opinion of everyone who has studied the process.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Hagelstein's approach involves a slow release -- I think the quantum is released all at once, but across countless lattice atoms via phonons, a process that has the effect of subdividing it up into something harmless. There's no "leaking" in that case. It's a fast reaction, it just isn't concentrated in a single place. It's quite possible that I am mistaken in this understanding.

The release rate proposed by Peter is ambiguous. He does not explain exactly what happens. He assumes atoms cluster in a metal atom vacancy, at some point they fuse into He, phonons are emitted, and these are converted to photons in order to account for the observed radiation. The process is described by mathematical equations having no relationship to what can be identified as a physical process. Nevertheless, some time has to be involved in the process to avoid melting the local environment by release of 24 MeV/He.

Ed Storms

Eric