Chris Zell <chrisz...@wetmtv.com> wrote:

> 1) does the government commonly lie?

No, it seldom lies, and usually only with regard to obscure or unimportant
things, because larger lies are discovered by the press or the party out of
power.

The government lives in a glass house. Corporations find it much easier to
lie.

> 2) does the government wish to retain control and power over their
> respective masses?

No.

> 3) does the government have the means to effectively distract, mislead,
> suppress or kill anyone who attempts to expose the facts about #1?

It sometimes thinks it does, but it usually botches such attempts. See, for
example, the Daniel Ellsberg case, and Watergate, and recent scandals at
the IRS.

I have known many people who worked for the government, and also three
members of congress. They told me that no secret in Washington DC stays
secret longer than fifteen minutes. Gossip and secrets are the coin of the
realm. Like any coins they are useless unless spent. During the pursuit of
Osama bin Laden at Tora Bora, one of the most valuable military secrets was
that he and other terrorists were being tracked by cell phone. This was
revealed within a few days by gung ho members of the Bush administration
who wanted credit for their military prowess. Naturally, bin Laden and the
others learned of it within hours, and the technique was defunct.

My late father was involved in military intelligence during and after WWII.
He said the US ability to conduct secret operations and to keep secrets was
abysmal then and after. Recent history seems to bear this out.