  From: David Roberson
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:36 AM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]: ECAT Drive PWM Issues

  Fran, my model takes into account the rate of heat transfer out of the device
by using a parameter that simulates a thermal positive feedback loop.  And, as
you suggest this depends greatly upon the rate of heat generation with
temperature and the thermal resistance that it delivers that heat into.
Another way to think of this effect is to consider what would happen to a block
of active material which is surrounded by a perfect heat conductor.  In this
special case, any additional heat that is generated is immediately absorbed by
the conductor and can not raise the temperature of the block.  This would be a
stable condition and the COP would be low.  Now, if you modify the surrounding
heat conductor by increasing its thermal resistance then any newly generated
heat from within the block would result in an increase in its internal
temperature in a positive feedback manner.  The resistance can be increased
until it reaches a point such that a tiny incremental input of heat to the
block results in a temperature increase of the block that causes additional
heat generation slightly larger than the initial increment.  Rossi appears to
operate above this resistance point when his device has the desired
performance.

  That was a lot of words and I suspect is not clearly written.  The meat of
the description is that there will be a temperature that depends upon the heat
sinking where the device becomes unstable and begins to proceed toward melting.
 My model suggests that this is the temperature above which Rossi should
operate his device to achieve good COP.   The model further indicates that you
can maintain control of the device while operating above this point as long as
you reverse the process before a second temperature trip point is reached that
leads to run away.  It is important to realize that operation within this
region is unstable unless a drive waveform is applied with the proper
characteristics.

  In the radio world this type of device would be referred to as a negative
resistance component.  Rossi must be relying upon the energy generated in this
mode for his large gain.  The hard part is to keep the ECAT from getting out of
control since he is operating on a sharp balance to obtain good COP.

  I am not modeling any process that occurs beyond the two temperature trips
that I described since operation above the second one is destructive.
Operation below the first temperature point results in a COP that is too low to
be useful.  I have included energy loss due to a 4th order radiation process in
some of my runs, but so far I find that control issues occur before this has
significant effect.

  I believe as you do that operation with a heat exchange fluid will be easier
to control.  This also allows Rossi to adjust the flow rate which could be used
to modify the thermal resistance factor and thus total loop dynamics.  For
example, he could raise the temperature at which the core become unstable
thereby compensating for different core activities.

  My model operates upon the average behavior of an ECAT type device.  It
assumes that the design has been developed by good engineering processes.  If
the design team allows the system to harbor inconsistent heat transfer such as
would occur with too many and too large in size hot spots, then there is no
control technique that will work effectively.  I suspect that much effort will
center around making sure this issue is handled.

  Dave