 The Penon report (Aug 2012 -- the first hotcat radiative test)
 http://coldfusionnow.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/105322688-Penon4-1.pdf
 says about (what is now the inner) cylinder :

           The module is consists of an assembly of four components,
           plus the active charge (Nickel and catalyzer) and a tablet which
           acts as a hydrogen reserve. Tablet and charge masses are not
           known.

The technology is probably identical, though the charge is now in the central
cylinder.

On page 4 there's a picture of a ceramic/resistor assembly.  The ceramic IS
mostly solid .. page 5 shows an end-view. The ceramic DOES seem to fit pretty
tightly between the cylinders.

In that version it's not at all clear where the "charge" fits in.

As I posted earlier the "bands" on the meltdown picture are similar to the
"cogs" on the ceramic, and may represent different conductivity (positive or
negative, depending on your belief).

The nickel powder?  ... no idea. Where is the thermalization? Probably in the
wall of the inner cylinder ... which will be "filled" with back-body radiation.
Maybe it's Schrodinger powder ... a superposition of melted and unmelted
powder, and Rossi has somehow rigged the system so that the cat always turns up
live.