The small bit of powder that came out when the reactor was cut open was likely
the hydride that, when heated, pressurized the reactor with H2 gas…

From: Eric Walker [mailto:eric.wal...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:17 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Speculation about hotCat

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com> wrote:

*       We are told that the central reactor core is a 310 stainless steel
cylinder ( 3cm by 33cm).  There is no port for introduction of H2.  The ends
are cold welded closed.

The ends were cone-shaped AISI 316 steel caps that were "hot-hammered" into the
ends.  I don't think they were welded.

*       When the test device was sawed open, only a miniscule amount of powder
came out.  This cannot be the active powder - it would have melted as loose
powder rather than conveying the heat out of the cylinder.

I don't think any nickel charge came out when they opened the device.
Apparently the nickel charge was carried in one or more 33 mm x 3 mm cylinders,
which were opened and the contents weighed.  If the Hot-Cat HT is anything like
the device tested in August 2012, the inside looks like the image shown on page
6 of [1].  Notice that there is putty sealant that does produce a kind of
powder.

[1] http://coldfusionnow.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/105322688-Penon4-1.pdf