On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Berke Durak <berke.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't buy it. The reactor is a sealed faraday cage, so it's not going
> > care about ripple or dc vs ac. It's just a thermal interface.
>
> The reactor might require or might be incompatible with low-frequency AC
> magnetic fields, which can go through 3 mm of steel, especially AISI 310
> steel which has very low magnetic permeability.  (Faraday cages bounce off
> electromagnetic signals (balanced E + B) but not necessarily penetrating
> magnetic signals.)

Good grief. The resistors are coils, presumably helical solenoids with the
axis parallel to the reactor cylinder. The magnetic field is near zero
outside a solenoid, except at the ends. Not the best way to get magnetic
fields in. Moreover, the Ni is above the Curie point at those temperatures,
and so is not ferro-magnetic. But it's a real reach anyway to think you
could even measure magnetic fields, let alone induce nuclear reactions with
them. And some say the skeptics are grasping.

> In addition we are told the instantaneous power was about 930 W.  If
> unfiltered,
> full-wave rectified AC was used then in 10 ms, that 930 W will supply or
> fail to
> supply about 10 J.  As this is metal here and not water the thermal masses
> are
> pretty low: for the steel casing which has a thermal mass of about .15 J/K
> this would mean a change of 1.5 degree, 100 times per second.  With a
> diffusivity of .36 m2/s this 100 Hz thermal signal would certainly
> reach the core.

What? No! What are you smoking?

Do you notice how tungsten light bulbs glow for a fraction of a second
after you turn them off? That's thermal mass. Photographers measure the
flicker of tungsten lights, and it's less than 10%. Now, the visible light
output is far from linear, with a threshold at near full power, so that
means there's probably even less variation in the thermal output over the
cycle. And that's a tiny filament. For the heating resistors, it would be
even less. And now imagine if the heating resistor varies its thermal
output by a per cent or less, and if only a fraction of the heat from the
resistor reaches the SS cylinder, which has a mass of 1.5 kg (probably a
thousand times that of a tungsten filament, and 4 times the heat capacity).
There is no way any temperature ripple would be observed in the steel, let
alone reach the core. You need to go back to that heat equation.

> > But in any case, in the dummy run, they measured the power to the ecat
> so that
> > suggests it's an ordinary ac signal. Anyway, a box powered by ordinary
> mains
> > can produce any signal shape they want. They wouldn't go to 3-phase just
> > skimp on diodes and capacitors. The 3-phase looks more like obfuscation
> to me.
>
> Again, if they need to have precise PWM without a large 100 Hz ripple,
> they will
> have to produce high-power DC, and they will want it to be reliable.  It's
> not
> just a matter of "skimping" on capacitors.

They measured the power to the ecat on the lines going in to the ecat using
clamp on meters in the December run, and in the dummy run in March. So it's
ac at the line frequency; the meter has a narrow frequency range. And in
March it's single phase ac. There's no reason they need high power dc.

> As a side node, the use of tri-phase power seems to indicates that
> this is the real
> deal.  Why would indeed Rossi bother with that if he didn't have a true
> need to
> industrialize his product?

So, in the end you admit that it's not needed for this purpose, and that
it's a bother. Why bother? I explained that. It forces the use of a
specific mains line that will not be used for anything else. It increases
the complexity, which gives much opportunity for deception. And it makes
much higher power available, in case he wants to make it glow.