Do the arithmetic, Mark.

Although it is true that "a couple hundred bucks" is only 1% of $20,000 and
that it is ridiculous think of the other 99% as going into technical
aspects alone, even if 90% of the budget were for "overhead" that would
still leave a budget of $2,000 for the technical aspects, which means "a
couple hundred bucks" would be 10% of the available budget.  Are you trying
to say that adequate calorimetry wouldn't be worth even 10% of the budget
allocated for equipment?