On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM, H Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

How many well known collisions produce outgoing particles who kinetic
> energy is approx. 100  times that of the incoming particles?
>
> Can it be compared with known collisions?

It was closer to 15,000 times the original energy (5,000,000 eV / 350 eV),
after having traversed ~1 um of titanium (or, possibly, some daughter
particle resulting from a chain reaction of some kind that occurred closer
to the exiting side of the foil).  The presence of the foil complicates
things, because it's not clear how far the daughter had to travel through
it.  The longer it had to travel, the more it would slow down, I think,
especially if it was not initially aligned along an open pathway in the
crystal structure.

The authors speculated that the mystery particle was tritium on the basis
of the energy difference in the energy peak when the 200 V detecter bias
was turned off (silicon surface-barrier detector spectra respond to changes
in voltage, apparently).  The authors did not offer a possible reaction.

Another possibility apart from a nuclear reaction was that background
radiation was mistakenly associated with the incoming beam collisions.
 They only saw events in four of nine experiments, and the particles could
have been cosmic rays or something similar.  Also interesting is the fact
that there was an earlier experiment by a group in Germany with a very
similar setup that I just read about, and they saw nothing that could not
be explained by normal dd reaction cross sections.  But I don't think they
saw anything above noise in the 300 eV range, and their foils were 3 um
thick.

Eric