Let me see if I can be clearer. I believe the LENR situation is not like any other. First of all, the basic explanation is not accepted. In contrast, the basic explanation is accepted about other technologies. This means that the patent office will not grant a patent based on the basic mechanism or for claims based on nuclear energy being produced by such a mechanism. Do you know of any such patent? All the granted patents seem to apply to a method without any proof that the method actually works. In contrast, Rossi does not even give the method. This opens the patent to challenge later when the technology starts making money for someone else. Second, a patent that actually describes a working device, such as what Rossi might attempt to get, would apply only to the method used. Yes, it would block use of that method, but nothing else.

But, you seem to say that any method shown to reproduce the effect will be blocking regardless of whether this method is understood and the understanding is shown to apply. Presumably, Rossi could get such a patent now if he trusted the system to actually grant and protect. Do you agree? The electrolytic method can be reproduced by a person skilled in the art, but not every time. How often must this replication be accomplished for this rule to apply? Could this claim now be patented once a recipe is described that can replicate nuclear energy?

So, the problem is what do the rest of us do who are trying to get money to support research? How does your propose approach help us? Rossi will do what Rossi wants to do. The rest of us need advice.

Ed