<mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> BTW it might be simpler to just install a pipe with it's mouth farther up
> hill
> than the wall (but buried well below the surface), and the lower end in the
> ocean. It would provide a low resistance drain for the ground water, and
> obviate
> the need for pumping.

Some people I know in Japan in the countryside get their running water by
that method. You don't even need a deep well or pump, because there is so
much groundwater and the hills are so steep. You find a spring a good
distance uphill in the woods behind the house and put in PV pipes.

The water pouring out of the those stone walls in those photos I linked to
is pure, cold and delicious. I used to go jogging 4 miles or so along that
road. I would let the water pour over me when I got hot, and drink it. I
would not drink the run-off from an orange grove or field, but
contamination is not a problem when the water comes out of the woods. There
are thousands of acres of wild woods on hills too steep to farm above most
small Japanese towns. Nobody sprays pesticide up there. The nation is said
to be overpopulated but it does not feel that way in the countryside. In
the woods shown in those photos people sometimes wander off and are never
seen again, especially elderly people. You can walk up there for hours and
not see another person.

In the case of Fukushima plant, however, there is not much of a grade
behind the ice wall, so they will need wells and pumps. I do not think the
energy cost from the pumping will be high. Keeping the wall frozen is what
will take a lot of energy.