It is hard for me to imagine that it is an intelligent desire to protect
economic rent for few against the western population...

Having worked in finance, in Internet bubble, I would rather blame it on
individual weakness (selfishness, ambition, greed, self delusion,
submission to easy)  sewed to make a fabric of stupidity... with a few
strong cables , like gary taubes and other leader in closed mindedness,
lack of culture, and ego, who give the skeleton, the frame, to that tent of
absurdity...

maybe the US human cables holding the western delusion tent cannot reach
Japan and China...
Maybe a language barrier...

sure most EU is under that tent...
why not the italians ? (maybe because they have a good palladium provider!)

interesting question... selfish interest of a minority ? of stupidity of
the majority?