I was thinking about this subject again, and looking up some numbers. I
often look at automobiles because they are the most common machines on
earth. The internal combustion engine is the cheapest primary power source
measure in dollars per kilowatt of capacity. There is more capacity in
automobile engines than all other power sources combined. Electric
generators produce more net energy because the duty cycle is better. Most
automobiles sit unused most hours of the day. If they were all turned on at
once they would produce far more power than other sources.

Anyway, I think they cost about $10 to $20 per HP (0.75 kW). About $2000
for a new Ford F-Series 5.4 L 190 HP replacement motor, quantity 1.

It is easy to do a back of the envelope estimate and determine that even
when cold fusion automobile motors sell at a premium, the lifetime cost of
owning something like a cold fusion powered automobile would be less than a
gasoline powered automobile. It goes without saying that the very first
cold fusion devices will cost a fortune, but the costs should soon fall. We
can see this based on the cost of materials the likely difficulty of
manufacturing and other factors. I conclude that within 10 or 20 years the
sticker price for cold fusion powered vehicles will be less than the
gasoline powered ones. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJthefuturem.pdf

Let's look at some specific numbers for car ownership, from this web site:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/08/cost-car-ownership.asp

"Government Estimates
According to Consumer Expenditures in 2006, released in February of 2008 by
the U.S. Department of Labor's U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average
vehicle costs $8,003 per year to own and operate. The breakdown of the
figure comes to $3,421 for purchasing the vehicle, $2,227 in gasoline and
motor oil expenses, and $2,355 in other vehicle-related costs."

* As I said, the purchase price will be high at first, but lower when the
technology begins to mature. Say, 10% less: $3,079.

* The fuel cost is zero. Much less oil lubricant is needed, just as less
lubricant is needed with an electric car. Let's subtract the whole $2,227.

* "Other vehicle related costs" are mainly for insurance, I believe. Most
of the cost of insurance is to cover bodily damage or death to passengers.
This can be reduced by increasing the safety of the vehicle, which you can
do with heavier materials and so on. With cold fusion you can trade off
energy efficiency for a safer car. The extra energy you use costs nothing.
You can also reduce the cost of repairing a car in the event of an accident
by using cheaper materials and a somewhat less aerodynamic shape. This also
reduces insurance costs. So, just off the top of my head let us say we
reduce these other vehicle related costs by 20%, to $1,884. This is
conservative.

* Other costs also include maintenance. I think a cold fusion powered car
will resemble an electric car, which is inherently cleaner and easier to
maintain.

That's $4,963 compared to $8,003 per year, about 40% cheaper. That is an
irresistible number. Once people realize they can cut the cost of owning an
automobile by 40%, the sale of gasoline powered automobiles will plummet.
Every model will soon be phased out. Trying to sell something the cost
nearly twice as much with same functionality as the new product is a losing
proposition. A cold fusion powered car would have much better
functionality. It would not only be cheaper, it would be more convenient.
You would not have to stop and fill the car with gas on a road trip. You do
not have to worry about the vehicle exploding after an accident.
Environmentalists can stop worrying about causing pollution and global
warming. Most Americans will enjoy watching OPEC and Exxon go bankrupt.
Those organizations do not inspire love or loyalty.