http://www.scribd.com/doc/139182265/Theories-of-variable-mass-particles-and-
low-energy-nuclear-phenomena

"Theories of variable mass particles and low energy nuclear phenomena"

Published by Mark Davidson

Conclusion of Paper:  "We want to emphasize that there is no direct
experimental evidence yet that masses of electrons, nucleons, or nuclei can
change significantly in a condensed matter setting.... Nevertheless, it is
this author's opinion that Fock-Stueckelberg or other type of off-mass-shell
theories are a possible explanation for such variations and that all of the
experiments in LENR can potentially be explained if they are occurring."

This is a very deep paper and Davidson is careful to spread the credit
around and not ruffle too many feathers, even though his conclusion
essentially devastates most the popular theories for LENR, when taken to the
limit. He is probably too circumspect and one hopes that there will be more
from Davidson.

Apparently, using the old Fock-Stueckelberg theories mentioned (circa 1941),
opens up modern solutions for the relativistic bound state problem and so on
(as we are hearing again in the Higgs discussions) providing an
understanding for gain in LENR without the need for fusion (but he does not
really want to go that far in the paper)... but we also realize that a
generalization of Maxwell's theory is required in order that the
electromagnetic interaction be incorporated into the theory which it has to
be. The resulting broader theory involves a fifth gauge field... shades of
Kaluza's conclusion - and he was saying this twenty years ahead of F&S.

Theodor Kaluza was an extraordinarily genius - possibly on the same level as
Dirac and Einstein, if not higher. But that is a discussion for another day.

Anyway... there could be an echo in the recent threads ... or is that the
800 pound gorilla in the closet? (make that 125 GeV)...anyway, it looks like
we are back to the some version of a fifth dimension in order to adequately
explain LENR, not to mention the Higgs... which is sure to engender the
usual negativity.

In a way, it could be looking more and more like the billions spent on LHC
may yet have some kind of surprising payoff for understanding LENR, but we
are not there yet. What an irony if it plays out that way.

As for now - perhaps we can sum up best by pleading the fifth. :-)