http://metaversetribune.com/2011/08/22/rosedale-makes-case-for-holographic-universe/

Rosedale was the founder of SecondLife.  I frequently worked with the
physics engine in SL and I can confirm the marble / cup QM tunneling
analogy.

Some choice quotes:

   - “Basically if you leave a marble in a cup in Second Life, and you
   leave all night and you come back, what happens? The marble is gone.”
   - "If there was a hidden dimension [Holographic Principle - universe as
   2 dimensions] wrapped around our universe that contained all the data for
   the atoms in our world, quantum entanglement starts to make more sense."
   - "The general agreement in quantum mechanics is that subatomic
   particles like photons behave like waves until looked at by a conscious
   observer .. Second Life, too, does not render until looked at by a
   conscious observer, but the data always remains in that hidden dimension
   outside the 3D virtual space. Just something to think about."