Francis,

After doing some more reading I realize that since the orbit of the
electron is a probability distribution according to QM it doesn't matter
how spread out the probability distribution becomes, the electron will
remain bound to the proton. However, if the electron were to become
localized (through an act of measurement) where it is expected to escape
according to classical theory, will it escape?

I did learn that for some potential wells there are no bound states. For
instance at the bottom of this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_potential_well

it says that a spherical potential well which is either too small or too
"shallow" cannot have any bound states.