Upon further reflection, the paired proton conjecture may be on the right
track after all. In the ICCF-18 paper, Dr. Yeong E. Kim defines his
reactions in terms of deuterons, but deuteron formation can only happen
when the hydrogen isotope used in the LENR reaction is deuterium.

When protium hydrogen having a single proton and zero neutrons is used,
only protons form the hydrogen nucleus.  Deuteron formation cannot happen
because there are no neutrons in the hydrogen.

So to form a hydrogen nuclear pair, only protons are available and not
deuterons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_isomers_of_hydrogen

The parahydrogen form of hydrogen spin isomers has zero spin and is
consistent with the zero spin rule of thumb for photofusion.

Dr. Kim may have made a major mistake by taking his deuteron base theory of
Pt/D fusion and moved it unmodified into the Ni/H reactor theory. This
error is what has confused me lately. If I am not thinking correctly,
please correct me.