From: fznidarsic <fznidar...@aol.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Fri, Feb 28, 2014 9:09 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Plastic detector find

Thank you Alan G.

How?    I really want to do this.  I am lacking in my knowledge of digital
signal processing. What software?   Once I process the signal how do I get a 1
or 0 out of my old computer?  I used to know how to get out a one with C and
Basic.  How do I get the two software packages talking?

I am about ready to turn the detector over to Howard for testing.  #5 plastic
is straws and bottle caps.  They either colored or to small to be detected.  I
just wanted to do better.

I used to do something like this with the 9 pin D connectors on yesterday's
computers.  I needed a way to stop a serial line printer upon buffer full at my
old job in 1995. It was an odd situation with some old but critical PLC's that
needed to print to a new serial printer.  The system worked fine until the
office management installed a LAN printer and took away my old computer and
printer.  It was a long story the old computer was no longer supported, they
said.   I objected. We will get rid of the computer when we upgrade the PLC's,
I said.   It was not an office computer or printer.  I was overridden and mad
about it.  All of the PLC software was on floppies.  I transferred the software
and wrote a C program to print out the ladder logic.  It's been a while and I
don't remember all of the details.

I was too busy for this but now I had to do something.  The Basic program could
transmit an ASKI character with all zeros.  I don't remember what character
this was anymore.  This resulted in a zero followed by a string of ones on the
output line. It looked something like this 01111111.  The ones made a long
pulse.  The signal did not return to zero between the ones.  I filtered the
pulse with a resistor and a capacitor.  The zero reset the capacitor through a
signal diode.  The string of all ones produced a high voltage in a detector and
turned on an output. This output- was sent to the CTS pin.   I could send the
string of ASKI characters to the 9 pin D's output with C or Basic.  I don't
know if I can do this with a USB connector.  Perhaps that needs to be my next
product.  A USB to single digital output.

Frank