On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM, John Berry <berry.joh...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you want to believe it is settled science as many do, you are welcome to
> do so.
> But I question it because no one is able to answer some very important
> questions such as how a photon can be explained to be C unless we are
> closing in distance toward it and then the only answers I get seem to be
> based on faith, in Einstein and scientific impartiality.
> Which IMO you are not doing very well on.

When faced with a corner case in a system as subtle as special relativity,
one has different options.  If one has a sense of one's limits, one might
conclude that the corner case is out in a region that extends beyond one's
current understanding of the system.  At this point, a competent person
will either devote the time to understand the system in sufficient detail
to get at the heart of the corner case, or one will delegate to other
competent people and adopt what they explain as a working assumption.  I do
not intend right now to undertake a detailed study of special relativity,
so I am instead happy to delegate to other competent people.  Here is where
trust becomes important -- only delegate to people you trust, or you will
be given bad information upon which to base your working assumptions.  On a
scale of 1-5, I give the people at physics.stackexchange.com a 4 in terms
of the confidence I have in their ability to understand the corner cases in
special relativity that have been discussed up to now.  By contrast, I give
anyone who appears to be struggling with the basics of logical reasoning,
such as starting from a well-known hypothesis, a 1 -- I would not trust
them to be able to effectively sort out the corner case.  I am happy with
the people I have chosen to delegate out to on the matter of special
relativity.  This is not faith-based reasoning.  It's a step that any
person who has a sense of one's limits would do.

The main reason I do not delegate out to the
physics.stackexchange.compeople on the matter of cold fusion is that I
detect a bias in their
approach to the manner that has clouded their judgment and prevented them
from adequately looking at the experimental evidence for cold fusion.
 Given the bias I perceive in their approach, I am practically forced to
look into the matter myself, which I am happy to try to do.

Eric