I've heard few critics by pilots ...
one is that the airport is not the nearest... anyway it is the easiest.
second is that getting at high altitude making yoyo is amateur... and
trying to extinguish fire that way is movie plot.
third is that in fire, procedure is to communicate first...
fourth is the fact that Malay control received a normal good-night after
turn... have to check... there are maybe some imprecisions...

some explain that numerous errors as caused by pilot limited experience.
you have to compare with others theories...

this is not a perfect explanation, nor the only one, but it is among the
less crazy, and it match the psychology of actors.