Yes--the control in ideas is worse than it was in the time of Galileo.
However, he was at the front end of a renaissance.

Bob
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Roberson
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 7:56 AM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:OFF TOPIC Portland wastes millions of gallons of water for
no reason

  Once I thought that science was a beautiful and honest endeavor.  The
principles that it embraces appear wondrous when viewed from an idealistic
point of view.  Perhaps that ideal is still accurate when one observes the
behavior of individual inventors or small groups that operate without the
impediments of the establishment.

  Unfortunately, the expenses associated with modern cutting edge science
research are too massive to be undertaken by any one individual and must
therefore be controlled by a concentrated few.   We have failed in selection of
those with the purse strings and perhaps in the entire concept of control.
Often those making the decisions as to where money should be spent are not
capable of performing this task in a manner that they should.   Cold fusion
research is a prime example of how sadly misdirected these people can become.

  The media seems to reinforce the ignorant decisions that guide most major
research.   I guess you can not blame them since their limited knowledge of the
important fields of study forces them to access those in charge of the current
scientific thought when they write articles or generate critics.  An individual
research scientist does not have a chance when offering resistance to this type
of overwhelming noise.   And the pseudo skeptics add additional retardation to
honest discovery by accusing anyone that does work not accepted by the
mainstream establishment as being frauds.

  It is a wonder than any truly new idea ever penetrates the gauntlet within a
reasonable time period.   Would we even enjoy the modern world to any extent
were it not for individuals and small independent teams such as the Wright
Brothers?  I hope that one day that sort of genuine creative thinking will find
the freedom that it deserves.  I doubt that this will occur within my lifetime.

  Dave