How does Mills protest his experimenters from chlorine compounds? The
experiment should be covered in a glass container or a clear plastic box.
With transmutation, there is no telling what vapors will be produced even
through Mills says that there is no nuclear reactions going on, but don't
believe that. Electric arcs always produce some level of transmutation,

Stay away from manganese. Isn't Mills using manganese?

http://www.asse.org/practicespecialties/articles/weldingfumes.php

Use a respirator as recommended. Safety first.