From: "Alain Sepeda" <alain.sep...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 2, 2014 2:52:17 AM

https://www.fusie-energie.nl/sites/default/files/2013_53004.pdf

> can someone competent interpret that study?

No, but I did notice :

The IR camera is calibrated with a black body and in situ cross checked against
a multi-wavelength spectroscopic pyrometer (FAR SpectroPyrometer model FMPI) to
account for the role of reflections inside the vessel and the transmission of
the optical set up. The pyrometer measures a spectrum from 1000 to 1700 nm,
with a resolution of 1.56 nm, corrects for the background and detector response
and compares the corrected intensity with a black body radiator. After data
analysis the output is the intensity per wavelength and the calculated emission
spectra and temperature. With this, the emission and/or the transmission of the
IR camera can be calibrated. In our case the emissivity (temperature and
wavelength dependant) used for the temperature conversion is found in [7], and
the transmission determined from the pyrometer is 0.9. This reduces the error
in the temperature to 2%.

In other words, it is useful if properly calibrated. For Lugano, calibration at
a higher temperature and a thermocouple on the tube would have done it.