>From the other pictures, it is pretty clear that Rossi is using a sheathed
k-type thermocouple with the hotCat.  Because this thermocouple is not
rated to operate at the temperatures that the reactor convection tube was
supposedly operating, it appears that Rossi had placed (by design) the
thermocouple in a cooler section of the hotCat (the end for example) where
the temperature may be related to the temperature of the convection tube,
but not at as high of a temperature.  Because of this, the Lugano team may
not have wished to use the data from that thermocouple.

On the gray box there are 3 panel mounted PID temperature controllers - to
one of which the k-type thermocouple was connected.  This temperature
controller has a setpoint for the hotCat (may be only a high temperature
cutout) and will also provide a *constant readout of the temperature* that
the thermocouple measures.  So, those running the experiment would have
constantly seen the temperature that the thermocouple was reading.  I am
sure they would have used that temperature data if it appeared to be
useful.  They may have manually logged it.