I am not quite sure what kind of precision is necessary here... I'd
expect that it should be enough to center the current sector for
displaying purposes, and re-center to the new sector once you cross a
portal boundary. Considering relatively small sectors, I'd imagine an
error factor of a few centimeters  is not too disturbing when the
objects in question are 50 meters away. This is probably two pixels
difference on the average display resolution. I can live with that :-)

Regarding physics simulation, which (if I understand you correctly)
suffers the most from matrix creep, well... I am no expert, but
couldn't you calculate this in a virtual coordinate space, derived
from the world coordinates in such a fashion that all objects
involved are close to the center? And then, once you reach some
"stable" result, convert the virtual coordinates back to world
coordinate space and continue from there? That may not be
particularly precise or realistic, but again, as long as the system
behaves more or less consistently, I can live with it.

Regards,
Karsten Otto