This made me smile:
http://slgames.wordpress.com/2007/03/05/alternatives-to-second-life/

``Virtual Object System - Worthy of note purely because they share the
dream of creating "The Metaverse".  There's not really a lot to see yet,
but the reason is that they're taking a very "from the ground up"
approach.  IF this every lauches, it will end up being fast and
reliable.  Their wiki is active, so it's worth keeping an eye on.  If
they every decide to go for VC funding, they could crush everything
else.''

There is also a comment on the blog post which clarifies a few points
the original author made -- whoever "CrystalShard Foo" is, thanks :-)

Regarding the last point (the funding, not the crushing), I am currently
working on writing up development and design plans and working towards
the actual proposal we will present to potential funding sources.  If
anyone has any special experience writing proposals or working with
investors, please contact me.  Since we're going for a distinctly
nontraditional business model (open source, open development, community
involvement early and as much as possible) some of this is uncharted
territory...

[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]
[ VOS: Next Generation Internet Communication][ http://interreality.org ]
[ http://interreality.org/~tetron ][ pgpkey:  pgpkeys.mit.edu  18C21DF7 ]