len

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Peter Amstutz

Well, on a technical level you have digital signatures that give you a
technical way to verify that information from a given source has not
been tampered with.  Provided you trust that the public key used to sign
that data did in fact come from that entity, of course, but trust has to
start somewhere.

On a social level, you're right, people tend to introduce errors (either
accidentally or deliberately) in information.  There isn't a technical
solution to that.  But that's not the kind of transmission we're dealing
with; we're only concerned with exact digital copies.  Whether the
source itself is an eyewitness account, a newpaper article or a
wikipedia writeup, the goal is simply propagation of the actual digital
document without allowing for the introduction of errors into the
document itself.