> > This means that if that version object is mutable, i.e. a not read-only
> > property, we need to also have branches in the version history, and any
> > reference to a past version of a vobjcet is really a reference to "the
> > most recent version in the branch rooted on this object, which if there
> > is only one version in the branch, is the same as the root object" [if
> > that makes any sense].
>
> I don't understand.

The example I was thinking of is this:

Property P has versions P.1, P.2, P.3.  If you have a normal reference
to P, you get P.3, though you know it just as P.  If you write to P, it
creates a new version, P.4, but P (being the "current version") is
transparently changed to P.4.  But if you have a reference to
P.2, and you write to it, resulting in a new version P.2.2, it appears
to you that the write didn't work, since you're still looking at P.2.
So P.2 needs to be an alias for "most recent version of P.2" in the same
way that P was.  P.3 is then also an alias for "most recent version of
P.3", but P.3 doesn't have any derivative versions, so it's just P.3 (or
call it P.3.0 or something).

Reed