The mailing list has gone quiet again, but that doesn't mean nothing is
happening.  I am presently working on the new UI prototype for VOS, which is
shaping up quite nicely.  The general plan going forward is:

a) Finish the UI prototype.  This has taken longer than I expected due to a
combination of technical issues and having implemented a lot more ideas than I
had originally.  I'm hoping to be done with this in the next week or two.

b) Create installer packages.  I want to have one-click install packages for
Windows, OS X and one or two Linux distributions.

c) Release, and discuss the merits of the UI.  It won't be particularly
functional but it should give a pretty good sense of how you might use it and
(for editing actions) what the workflow will be like.

d) Turn our attention to the backend.  I'll build on the s5 work I started last
year, so hopefully I can put something together relatively quickly.  My goal is
to have a somewhat faster release cycle with the backend work, perhaps having a
new release as major features (scripting, saving and loading, networking)
are landed.

e) Implement demos.  Actually, we should start thinking about this even now.

I've been thinking more about the big picture functionality, and I've decided
that I want to focus on the simulation side aspects in a 3D environment.  That
is, to have a framework that makes it easy to create a virtual world, add some
agents (avatars, NPCs, whatever you want to call them) and then push "play".
The goal will be to address the needs both of games/entertainment (which are
essentially discrete event simulations, albiet with rules that are
intentionally unrealistic) and more serious applications such as AI and
robotics research.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]