I'm thinking about revamping the web site -- while I still want to
eventually write the next generation hypervos ("Interreality Web"?),
this is depends on the s5 work.  Editing the current hypervos through
mesh is rather cumbersome, and quite a lot of information on the site is
varying degrees of out of date (and therefore misleading for new users).
I think it would be a good idea to retire s4 hypervos for the main site
in favor of a more prepackaged solution for the time being.

I think the site primarily needs the following collaboration tools:

- Wiki: Probably stick with MoinMoin.  This is suitable for doing simple
static pages like the entry page, about, download page, etc; as well as
permitting user-contributed pages.

- Bug tracking: Probably reinstall bugzilla, unless you have any other
suggestions.

- Mailing list + web forum: I think a lot of casual visitors are more
likely to read and post to a web forum than join the mailing list.
People will also use forum activity as a measure of the "liveness" of
the project.  I think the best of both worlds will be if we can find
either an integrated forum+mailing list manager (I haven't really found
anything yet) or a forum that supports cross-posting with an existing
mailing list (which I've found one so far - Phorum - which appears to
have a plugin that can do that.)

So I'm proposing:
 - Rework the MoinMoin-based wiki to serve as the main page, shuffling
the current content onto other pages (and/or deleting out of date
stuff).

- Set up bugzilla again.

- Set up forum software (Phorum, or maybe something else) and tie it to
vos-d.  This means email to vos-d shows up on the forum, and forum posts
go to vos-d.

One other thing worth considering would be some kind of blog+comments
feature for news.  This may be possible with the right forum software
(and/or using the forum module of some larger CMS...)

I'm not 100% committed to this plan, but it is likely the easiest path
since we largely continue using the software we already have running on
the site.  The goal is to spend thursday doing new site in preparation
for the interreality3d prototype release on friday, so that people have
a shiny new site to come to.  By increasing the promenence of the wiki
and adding a forum, this should encourage more participation and
feeback.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]