I think Jeff's problem is to have both data and filesystem integrity even if the system experience a powerloss.
....Jeff, may you give us some more specifics? -----Messaggio originale----- Da: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Ben Kochie Inviato: martedì 24 marzo 2009 22.05 A: Jeff R. Allen Cc: voyage-linux Oggetto: Re: [Voyage-linux] ext3 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 One option for writing to a flash in a nice pattern would be to use a log filesystem. http://logfs.org/ - -ben "UNIX is user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends." On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Jeff R. Allen wrote: >> I don't bother with ext3 since it drastically reduces the lifetime of >> the CF card. Also, log files and the like are not written to disk so >> there is not as much IO as you might think. > > Not to be critical, but your response is contradictory and I can't > make sense of it. Can you clarify? > > Some facts: > * under voyage, the root is mounted read-only, which means you can > use it on a CF card with no degradation no matter what filesystem you > use. > * In stock Voyage, files are only written to the CF card when you do > the explicit sync operation of the stuff in /rw back to /ro, or when > you explicitly remount the root rw and start scribbling on things with > your own scripts/servers/etc. > > I'm very interested in this right now, because I'm currently > contemplating what the right mix is between ramdisk and CF disk when > running a mySQL database. I'm currently leaning towards running it in > RAM, and flushing to CF card via mysql_copy under app control -- so > that the app only flushes the database when it knows there's been a > precious write. > > I'm an OpenWRT user too, and I'm considering using a jffs2 overlay for > my ext2 formatted mysql-dump filesystem, just like OpenWRT does for > it's entire filesystem. > > Anyone got any suggestions for how to safely do regular writes? > > -jeff > > _______________________________________________ > Voyage-linux mailing list > [email protected] > http://list.voyage.hk/mailman/listinfo/voyage-linux > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFJyUrrfYg2asD844oRAvRrAJ9DqRHQK6puIM7PX72GwUiImeasWgCfXR/M ErYv4LV8Zlf4nqlCb6YWGiw= =44Zh -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- _______________________________________________ Voyage-linux mailing list [email protected] http://list.voyage.hk/mailman/listinfo/voyage-linux
