If the bottleneck here is committers are not familiar enough with a feature to review or approve - and these are stacking up, should they really have have commit rights for that feature?

If we are asking maintainers to be domain experts for a feature, to own it, why have the extra bureaucracy of the additional committer approval. Will 'committer' approval on top of 'maintainer' approval ultimately anything but overhead?

Ray K