I build on CentOS and Fedora regularly, though it has been Fedora more
recently. I haven't seen it bail on vppifra, but I will go kick off a fresh
sandbox on CentOS right now. In the meantime, here are my steps on a fresh
sandbox:
   cd vpp;  make install-dep;  make bootstrap;  make build-release;  make
pkg-rpm

After some git activity, such as pushing a patch, the .version file becomes
stale and needs to be regenerated. So I run:
   cd vpp;  make wipe;

I'll let you know what I find on a fresh build.

Billy McFall