On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Thomas F Herbert <therb...@redhat.com> wrote:
> + Daniel Voyer
>
> +Daniel Bernier
>

> On 08/21/2018 12:24 PM, Damjan Marion via Lists.Fd.Io wrote:
>
> Hi Tom and welcome to vpp-dev,
>

> On 21 Aug 2018, at 16:28, Tom Herbert <t...@quantonium.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions regarding Destination Options processing in VPP.
> Basically, I'd like to know they are properly supported per RFC8200.
>
> Probably not.

> not, then I'd like to request the VPP stack is fixed to be protocol
> compliant in this.
>
> We do have SRV6 support. Are you saying from your code inspection that we
> have a non-compliance issue with RFC8200 or are you claiming a
> non-compliance issue with current segment routing drafts.

Hi Thomas,

The issue of Destination Options compliance came up in the context of
TLVs being added to SRH. The alternative suggestion is to use
Destination Options before the Routing header to contain the same
information. Regardless of whether SR has TLVs, a packet may have
Destination Options that appear before the Routing header, so the how
they are handled by various implementations is pertinent.

VPP is open source, so it's convenient to see how Destination Options
are dealt with. For processing SR, it _looks_ like Destination Options
are skipped by jumping over the extension header. I also looked at the
more general case: tunnel termination, filtering, TCP ad UDP protocol
termination-- it looks like packets with Destination Options are
simply dropped. The processing for Destination Options is specified in
RFC8200, there is also some added description in upcoming rfc6434bis
that might be relevant allows implementations to limit the number of
TLVs they are willing process (new ICMP errors are also proposed if
implementations drop packets because a limit is exceeded). There are a
few email threads on IETF 6man list about this.

> Also, if this is a non-compliance issue, to your knowledge, has this been
> verified with testing?

No. I have only looked the code.

Tom