Hi Damjan,

There is a comment that says  "preallocate at least 16MB of hugepages per
socket, if more is needed it is up to consumer to preallocate more". What
does a consumer need to do in order to preallocate more?

I've recently had problems using AES-GCM with IPsec on a test system.
Mempool allocation for the DPDK aesni_gcm crypto vdev fails during
initialization. An error message like this is logged:

vnet[4765]: crypto_create_session_drv_pool: failed to create session drv
mempool

I found that the DPDK memory allocation set with socket-mem is 64 MB by
default and this is being exhausted by the various mempool allocations.
This behavior seems to have started with change
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/16287/ ("dpdk-ipsec-mempool: allocate from dpdk
mem specified by socket-mem in startup.conf"). When I increase socket-mem
in startup.conf to 128 MB, the configured crypto devices successfully
initialize.

When support for socket-mem goes away, what will need to be done to ensure
that enough memory is available for crypto devices?

Thanks,
-Matt