> On 20 Dec 2018, at 18:46, Matthew Smith <mgsm...@netgate.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Damjan,
>
> There is a comment that says  "preallocate at least 16MB of hugepages per
> socket, if more is needed it is up to consumer to preallocate more". What
> does a consumer need to do in order to preallocate more?

This is just equivalent of "sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=X", if you set more with
sysctl or kernel boot parameters, vpp will not try to change that.
We can make this configurable from startup.conf, but in reality it is just
convenience feature.

> I've recently had problems using AES-GCM with IPsec on a test system. Mempool
> allocation for the DPDK aesni_gcm crypto vdev fails during initialization. An
> error message like this is logged:
>
> vnet[4765]: crypto_create_session_drv_pool: failed to create session drv
> mempool
>
> I found that the DPDK memory allocation set with socket-mem is 64 MB by
> default and this is being exhausted by the various mempool allocations. This
> behavior seems to have started with change https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/16287/
> <https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/16287/> ("dpdk-ipsec-mempool: allocate from dpdk
> mem specified by socket-mem in startup.conf"). When I increase socket-mem in
> startup.conf to 128 MB, the configured crypto devices successfully initialize.

you can see what exactly dpdk allocated with "show dpdk physmem".

> When support for socket-mem goes away, what will need to be done to ensure
> that enough memory is available for crypto devices?

DPDK is supposed to dynamically alloc more memory if needed, Unless I missed
something...

> Thanks,
> -Matt
>

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 3:55 AM Damjan Marion via Lists.Fd.Io
> <http://lists.fd.io/> <dmarion=me....@lists.fd.io
> <mailto:me....@lists.fd.io>> wrote:
>
> Regarding:
>
> https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/16543/ <https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/16543/>
>
> This patch switches dpdk to new in-memory mode, and reduces dpdk memory
> footprint
> as pages are allocated dynamically on-demand.
>
> I tested on both Ubuntu and Centos 7.5 and everything looks good but will
> appreciate
> feedback from people using non-standard configs before it is merged...
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Damjan

Damjan