Hi Yohan & Stevan,
Great work. Thanks!
Jerome

Le 02/02/2019 23:35, « vpp-dev@lists.fd.io au nom de Yohan Pipereau »
<vpp-dev@lists.fd.io au nom de yohan.piper...@telecom-sudparis.eu> a écrit :

    Hi everyone,

    Stevan and I have developed a small gRPC server to stream VPP metrics to
    an analytic stack.

    That's right, there is already a program to do this in VPP, it is
    vpp_prometheus_export. Here are the main details/improvements regarding
    our implementation:

    * Our implementation is based on gNMI specification, a network standard
    co-written by several network actors to allow configuration and
    telemetry with RPCs.
    * Thanks to gNMI protobuf file, messages are easier to parse and use a
    binary format for better performances.
    * We are using gRPC and Protobuf, so this is a HTTP2 server
    * We are using a push model (or streaming) instead of a pull model. This
    mean that clients subscribe to metric paths with a sample interval, and
    our server streams counters according to the sample interval.
    * As we said just before, contrary to vpp_prometheus_export, our
    application let clients decide which metric will be streamed and how often.
    * For interface related counters, we also provide conversion of
    interface indexes into interface names.
    Ex: /if/rx would be output as /if/rx/tap0/thread0
    But at this stage, this conversion is expensive because it uses a loop
    to collect vapi interface events. It is planned to write paths with
    interface names in STAT shared memory segment to avoid this loop.

    Here is the link to our project:
    https://github.com/vpp-telemetry-pfe/gnmi-grpc

    We have provided a docker scenario to illustrate our work. It can be
    found in docker directory of the project. You can follow the guide named
    guide.md.

    Do not hesitate to give us feedbacks regarding the scenario or the code.

    Yohan